SALT AND PEPPER CALAMARI
Salt and pepper calamari has become a beloved dish in Australian culture, reflecting the nation's diverse culinary preferences and love for seafood. Creating a simple and healthy salt and pepper calamari allows you to enjoy this delicious dish without compromising on nutritional value.
- 1 kg cleaned calamari/squid tubes or rings
- 1 cup cornflour (or plain flour)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of caster sugar
- Pinch cinnamon and Chinese five spice (optional)
- Prepare the calamari by scoring the inner surface and cutting it into 3cm x 6cm pieces or using calamari rings as an alternative.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Coat the calamari in the mixture.
- Shake off any excess coating and deep-fry the calamari in vegetable oil at 180°C for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain the fried calamari on a paper towel and serve promptly.
- Pair it with sweet chili dipping sauce, seafood sauce or tartare sauce for a delightful meal.
This is a recipe from Master Fish Merchants' Association of Australia